The Byzantine Museum of Ioannina, which was inaugurated in 1995, is located in the southeast acropolis of Itch Kale, in the Castle of Ioannina, and its exhibitsare mainly from the Byzantine and post-Byzantine period, such as sculptures, coins, old relics and icons, from the 4th to the 19th century. The museum is housed in a two-storey building, on the ground floor of which is the permanent exhibition, in the area of the former "Royal Pavilion" built in 1958 by the Greek army. The exhibition is divided into three sections: Early Christian, Byzantine and Post Byzantine, with objects from all over Epirus and are indicative of the history and art of the wider region. In the same place during the Byzantine era, the metropolitan church of the Taxiarches with the residences of the rulers ascended, while at the end of the 18th century the seraph of Ali Pasha was built.
An annex of the museum is the Silver Craft Exhibition, hosted in the so-called "treasury". In the“Fetiye” Mosque, which is the northern part of the prayer hall, hosts the exhibition of material on the monument itself, the whole of Ioannina Castle, Ali Pasha's life and works, and the general historical and artistic remnants of his era.
In addition to the permanent exhibition of the museum, which includes finds of exceptional value, the Byzantine Museum also hosts ceramics, fresco, mosaic and stone preservation workshop. In addition, it has capacity for periodical exhibitions, theater events and educational programs, as well as has a shop to buy your own souvenirs.
The Byzantine Museum is the heart of a cultural area at the Citadel of the castle and hides within it the whole history of Epirus as it has been revealed from the excavation findings on the region.